I’ve grown somewhat tamer over the tail end of my Twenties, but when I was a young early Twenty-Something, I was quite ambitious and full of ideas of what many adventures and mis-adventures lay ahead of me in my long life.
Considering the adventures I’ve had and the big-ass undertaking that is yet to come (in the form of moving to paradise), I’ve only now just I’ve lived quite a rich life thus far.
- Sky Dive
- Visit Japan, Korea and China
- Visit Tibet
- Get published (novel or story collections)—[ML commentary: does blogging count? j/k]
- Learn a foreign language well [ML: I was pretty decent with Japanese for a year or two, but that withered with the lack of actual people to practice this with.]
- Get Married
- Find the perfect Ein (Welsh Corgi) [ML: Husby is deathly allergic to shedding dogs, so alas, this will never come to fruition.]
- Rescue/Own a non-Ein [ML: read: Bear[dog].]
- Buy a house [ML: No thank you. I'd like to rent the rest of my life. Different economic times.]
- Be able to run 5 miles without dying [ML: I ran a 10k (6.2 miles) and a half marathon (13.1 miles/21.1km) and was training for a full marathon (26.2 mi/42.2km) before I was sidelined with a back injury in 2010.]
- Visit Prague
- Hike the Cotswalds
- Sleep in a Castle [ML: I got married in one, does that count?]
- Visit a monastery
- Slow dance along the Seine
- Take a boat ride down the Danube
- Visit Sweden, Denmark and Iceland [ML: September-October 2010, Honeymoon in Iceland!]
- Hot air balloon ride in the European countryside somewhere. (Preferably Southern Germany.)
- Drive the Autobahn before unlimited speeds go away. [ML: First trip outside North America to Europe, October 2006]
- Great Wall of China
- Drive a race car
- Learn to ride a motorcycle
- Drop my son off at school on a motorcycle.
- Ice skate on a frozen lake [ML: despite living in Detroit for 6.5 years, I still haven't done this. What the heck?]
- Snowboard in the Alps
- Live in Canada for a few years
- Visit Prince Edward Island
- Beat Final Fantasy III… [ML: despite being one of my gateway games into the world of Gaming, I still have never beaten my favorite Final Fantasy game, EVER.]
- …with one of my kids.
Having attained the ripe, old age of 29 (what I thought of as old at the time I wrote the list at age 23), I’m grateful to have been able to scratch some of these things off this list. Perhaps I could add quite a few things to it, but the bittersweetness leaves me at a loss for now.
There is so much beauty in this life, in my life, that I can’t believe I let any negative hold any thrall over me.
What items are on your bucket list?
You only live once. And if you’re really lucky or determined, you actually get to live that life. Make it good.
Don’t forget to enter my $300 GUCCI/NYX COSMETICS/THE BODY SHOP/BLUE LAGOON SKINCARE/ORIGINS/CLINIQUE/DR. HAUSCHKA/CHANEL GIVEAWAY BONANZA! [ends July 1]